Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Sabbath

This morning, I brought the Sunday paper inside and Joe complained, "I hate it when we get papers on Sunday!" I asked why, and he said it's breaking the sabbath. I dismissed it immediately, but then I stopped to consider. Is it breaking the Sabbath? I am causing someone to work to bring the newspaper to my house. I've never considered it breaking the sabbath before.


So, I wanted to open it up to discussion. What do you all think? Is having a newspaper delivered on Sunday morning breaking the sabbath?

4 comments:

gleehorse said...

I actually do agree with Joe. I always end up getting my papers at HT on Monday--I don't feel it's right to have it delivered on Sunday. I know it's not a popular opinion, and I'm not going to condemn someone else for doing it...but it's my opinion. :) (If it's not convenient for you to pick one up on Monday, I can always grab an extra for you Monday morning for you to pick up when you get Joe from school. It's 1.35 including tax...can you tell I do it every week for dad? lol) --Dawn

arianne said...

Having worked in the newspaper industry I can tell you that MOST papers keep staff to a minimum on Sunday and do their best to write things in advance. There are always going to be some people who have to work. However, it's more flexible than the retail industry scheduling-wise.

Its All Good Ya'll said...

I have had mixed feelings about this as well... I have gone back and forth. I recognize that there are certain jobs that require people to work on Sunday, medical, police, and newspaper delivery people. However, if there is a question why do it? I feel better about buying them at the vending machine so that nobody is delivering them to me but they still have to deliver them to the machine so I don't know. I also felt weird about organizing my coupons on sunday because although I was not spending money I was shopping. This is a tricky one but I think that this is a personal decision and I don't judge anyone for what they choose to do.

dadcoxson said...

(This is Mom answering...I didn't realized at first that I was in Dad's account.) Interesting conversation...and food for thought. I have not like to READ the paper on Sunday because it feels like I am letting the world invade my Sunday worship...like watching TV which I don't like to do although I occasionally will watch an uplifting movie with the family. I know I really hated it when my kids were younger and we were delivering 3-5 newspaper routes on Sunday. I think, though, that ultimately it is a personal decision for each person to make. ...like so many that we have to make...